Are you the best copywriter you can be? There are many different types of writers that make the world go round, but copywriters are one of the best paid writing gigs out there. To excel as a copywriter you need to be able to write good copy that’s interesting, engaging, and in demand. Of course, the best way to become a good writer is to write more, but there are many things you can do to improve your writing.
There are some excellent courses available to help you become an expert copywriter. However, if you’d prefer some free help, you’ve come to the right place. Let’s have a look at ten ways to get effective copy.
1. Write Good Headlines – This is the most important component of your copy, because if you have a poor headline nobody’s going to want to read any further. Your title is your reader hook. Don’t forget it.
2. Keep Search Engine Optimization in Mind – You can write the best copy but if doesn’t rank well in the search engines no one is ever going to see it, which is why it is so important to properly SEO your content. That way web surfers will find your material.
3. Make Sense – If you want what you’ve written read your headline needs to make sense. From there your writing has to make sense. Readers will read the first paragraph and if it isn’t clear, they will click the back button faster than you can say ‘back.’
4. KISS – The good old KISS formula (Keep it Simple Stupid) has been around a long time. That’s because it works. Keep your writing easy to read and easy to understand. Use point form, write at a grade level of under 8, unless you ware working on academic papers or research papers. Keep the sentences short and flowing well, and use the words that people are familiar with.
5. Highlight the Truth – Writers tend to highlight benefits, but one of the biggest problems seen with writers is that they highlight fake benefits. Rather than making up a fake benefit, don’t list a benefit at all. However, most writing can contain a positive benefit if you look at it right so practice a little rather than just making it up on the fly.
Copywriters can make a nice comfortable living, but only if they are good. It’s a highly competitive industry, and thanks to the internet it’s easy for potential clients to shop around and find the right person at the right price. These five tips will help you become a better copywriter in no time at all.